The historic Holland-Thompson House, as it appears today, was completed in 1910. It was the home of Oscar Holland and his wife Hattie Thompson Holland. The house was a gift from Hattie’s father, Myron P Thompson, who was one of the earliest settlers and largest ranch owners in Carbondale. The house is filled with the original wall papers, furnishings and the personal possessions of the couple and their descendants, unchanged from the time they occupied the house.
The Thompson Family continued to occupy the house into the mid-60s, and use the house periodically until the house and considerable property was sold to a developer in 2009. The house was transferred to the Town of Carbondale and has become a historic house museum, managed by the Mt. Sopris Historical Society. As a house museum the building describes the character of daily life for a successful ranching family in early Carbondale through tours, public events and the traditional kitchen garden.
In 2017, the Town received a grant for $94,814 to rehabilitate the house. The exterior woodwork was repaired and painted, the brick was repointed in several areas, windows were repaired and some preliminary structural improvements were made. A new boiler was installed and connected to the existing radiator system, replacing the original coal fired boiler. Now that the work is done, the house can be reopened to the public for tours and events.
We are pleased to announce that the State Historic Fund recently awarded a $27,255 grant to further study engineering improvements to the house. Phase II will focus on the design of improvements to the second floor, so that the house can transition from its original role of private home to a publicly accessible space. The original floors, plasters, and wall papers present a challenge to any structural changes that might be needed.
Photo of the Historic Holland-Thompson House Museum complements of Suzannah Reid, Project Manager.