The Carbondale Historic Preservation Commission:
- Adopts criteria for review of historic resources and for review of proposals to alter, demolish or move designated resources
- Reviews resources nominated for designation as either an historic landmark and recommend that the Board of Trustees designate by ordinance those resources qualifying for such designation.
- Reviews and make decisions on any application for alterations to a designated historic landmark.
- Reviews and make decisions on any application for moving or demolishing a historic landmark.
- Provides a courtesy review of new structures, alterations or relocations in the historic downtown area.
- Reviews alteration, demolition or relocation requests for buildings that are at least fifty years old.
- Advises and assist owners of historic properties on physical and financial aspects of preservation, renovation, rehabilitation, and reuse, including nomination to the National Register of Historic Places.
- Develops and assist in public education programs including, but not limited to, walking tours, brochures, a marker program for historic properties, lectures and conferences.
- Conducts surveys of historic areas for the purpose of defining those of historic significance, and prioritizing the importance of identified historic areas.
- Advises the Board of Trustees on matters related to preserving the historic character of the Town.
- Actively pursues financial assistance for preservation-related programs.
- Determines whether an economic hardship exists in order to allow an exemption from the certificate requirements.
- Actively encourages Carbondale landowners to preserve and protect sites, structures and building elements that have potential historic value.
Carol Klein, Member
Eric Doud, Member
Jess Pedersen, Member
John Williams, Member
Kim Magee, Member
Eric Sechrist, Member
Melissa Jones, Member
Heather MacDonald, Alternate
Nick Miscione, Chairperson and Planning & Zoning Representative
John Leybourne, Town Staff Liaison
Historic Preservation Commission Local Landmark Brochure
Town of Carbondale Local Landmark Application
Carbondale Historical Society
Historic Walking Tour Maps
State and Federal Information
Secretary of Interior - Standards for treatment of Historic Preservation
Colorado Historical Society
National Trust for Historic Preservation
National Park Service - Heritage Preservation Services
Town of Carbondale Structures of Merit List
Carbondale Structures of Merit Survey 2016
Carbondale Historic Survey 2010
Carbondale 2005/2006 Historic Survey Report
Historic Fire Maps (Fire Insurance Maps)
Historic fire map of Carbondale from 1900 fire map
Historic fire map of Carbondale from 1907 Fire map
Historic fire map of Carbondale from 1912 Fire map
4 Rivers Historical Alliance